Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Kevin G to show his new fashion designs June 25 :: News :: PIONEER PRESS :: Proviso Herald

Kevin G to show his new fashion designs June 25 :: News :: PIONEER PRESS :: Proviso Herald
June 23, 2010
By MARIO BARTOLETTI mbartoletti@pioneerlocal.com

Local fashion designer Kevin Grove lives in Galewood but was born and raised in Maywood and his life experiences have influenced his design.

He is holding his first fashion show on June 25 which will feature his L.I.C. (Life In Clothes) line.

"All the designs are mine. I've been working on them for about a year," he said. "There are three editions and lines for men and women. The show will feature a performance by Chris Shields."

Grove said his Empire edition is an everyday look; the Finished edition is an urban casual look and the better known ILPFF (pronounced Ill-piff) is an exclusive limited edition line.

"I've been sewing left and right since I was 12 years old," he said. "When I was in eighth grade we had to do a sewing project, and if we failed, we wouldn't graduate.

"When I got into high school, I took a sewing class on how to use a sewing machine and I learned how to make jeans and shirts and everything else. From there I taught myself how to design."

On a field trip to Six Flags, Grove wore a pair of Kobe Bryant shorts he had made, which lead to him getting serious about design.

"I put the team name on there, some jersey patches -- the next year I saw them in stores. Once I saw that, I said 'Someone likes my design,'" he said. "Someone saw those, made them, and got paid for them."

Grove now gets orders from different people, but is trying to get buyers to come to the show to check out his new line.

"When people give me orders, I give them a time I'll have it finished. I'm looking to work with a manufacturing company," he said. "But anything not too big I can do myself."

Doors for the show open at 6:30 p.m. on June 25, at the Aldo Castillo art gallery, 233 W. Huron St., in Chicago. For more information, visit Grove's Web site at: licloth.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment